When the foundation stone of Albert Hall was laid during the visit of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward to Jaipur in 1876 it had yet to be determined what use it would be put to. There were some suggestions about cultural or educational use or as a town hall. However in 1880 Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh II approved a suggestion by Dr. Thomas Holbein Hendley, Resident Surgeon (whose interests extended beyond his medical responsibilities) to display products which would inspire local craftsmen to improve their skills to display products of local craftsmen. A small museum was created in 1881 in temporary accommodation and proved most popular. Additionally, Hendley in 1883 mounted a Jaipur Exhibition at Naya Mahal (old Vidhan Sabha). The purpose of these exercises was to acquaint local craftsmen with the best examples of art work and handicrafts of India to inspire them to improve their skills, thereby protecting and preserving traditional art and reviving skills, while providing greater employment for artisans. It was also the intention that the display would help educate youth in a wide variety of fields and entertain and inform the people of Jaipur.
Visitor Counter : 0000964012
Last Updated on 03 - 08 - 2016
Site Designed & Hosted by National Informatics Centre (NIC) ,
Contents provided by Albert Hall , Central Museum, Department of Archaeology & Museums, GOR, Jaipur.
Copyright @ 2013 Department of Archaeology & Museums, Govt. of Rajasthan, All rights reserved
Last Updated Date: 03 - 08 - 2016 | Best Viewed with 1024 x 768 pixels